Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tipping in Thailand

Please could I have some advice on how much do I tip the driver of my car from the airport to the hotel? Also please could you let me know how much to tip the chambermaids at the hotel and whether I leave them 10 baht every day or at the end of the week. Thank you very much for your help.



LotsC



Tipping in Thailand


I usually give my chambermaid 100 baht towards beginning of holiday and perhaps another 100 near end of holiday - depending on length of stay. I also try give driver 50 - 100 baht tip.



Tipping in Thailand


Dont%26#39;t forget the poor staff who have to lug your cases to and from the room!



I usually tip about 20THB per case.



I tend to tip housekeeping at the end of the stay, according to how many days, but its a little more than 10THB per day I have to admit!



For drivers, it%26#39;s usually dependant on the length of the drive. A tip of 50-100THB for an airport to hotel transfer should be OK.




I gave the drivers 100 Baht. Maids anything to 100-200 Bahts.




20 baht is the standard tip for bellboys, cleaners etc. Tip cleaners at the end of your stay.




Thank you that%26#39;s brilliant.....




I gave room cleaners 20 baht each day.. you don%26#39;t always know if its going to be the same cleaner each day.




I%26#39;ve TRIED to tip the cleaners daily, but unless you actually see them to give them the money, chances are they won%26#39;t take any banknote left behind for them. Too afraid for their jobs.




Tip what you are comfortable with, tips are not expected in Thailand but are very welcome.





I will say though don%26#39;t give someone a 10 baht tip (%26lt;20 pence), they will graciously accept it to be polite but I think they would rather not have the tip than have their work considered only worthy of 10 Baht. I would say give a minimum of 20 baht for small things or don%26#39;t bother.





Tipping the chambermaid at the end of the trip is better, save up those 10 bahts and give 100+. Really I think 20 baht per day is a better gesture, again at the end.





For the airport trip then I agree 50-100 baht is right, just round up the fare.





For eating out, if you are eating at a 35 baht a plate Thai place then you really don%26#39;t need to leave a tip, if there a few of you then you could round the bill up.





For other services I would say judge it on performance and time. If for example you have a quick 30 minute foot massage on the beach, maybe give 20-50 baht. If its an upscale Spa where you are having a 2 or 3 hour treatment maybe 100 baht.





Of course if someone goes out of there way to help you and are especially good then why not reward them a bit, go on you%26#39;re on holiday.




Bear in mind that the minimum wage in Thailand - set regionally - is usually about 180 baht PER DAY. so this might put your tipping into perspective.





in day to day life tipping is not the norm in Thailand, but once tourism is a factor it is very much the norm.



When you tip it is often useful to consider how much you will need good service from this person in the future - e.g. an early tip to a chambermaid could prove a good investment, but if it is someone you are unlikely to meet again, just give a fair amount - I would suggest 5 to 10 percent.



I think 20 baht is regarded as the minimum tip - except 10 baht for cleaning your windscreen while pumping gas.





American style tips of 20% at restaurants are not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment