Friday, April 2, 2010

Air Asia vs Thai Air

Booking for BKK-KBV roundtrip in May...AA is under $200 USD for two roundtrip, Thai Air is $345 USD. Is there any reason to pay more for Thai Air? Is Air Asia sketchy or unreliable at all?



Air Asia vs Thai Air


Air Asia is great airline, though if you are taking a lot of weight baggage wise then it may be more costly in the end. I normally travel light so works well for me. :)



Air Asia vs Thai Air


Air asia is a budget airline - think ';Southwest';





Less baggage allowance, pay for drinks etc, if your inbound is late and you miss a connection, tough luck.





Thai Airways is a full service airline ( part of Star Alliance ) pay full fare you get the flexibility, refunds, etc.




Thanks for the replies, I have made my decision, stick with Thai Air.




I take the Air Asia flip to Krabi frequently (and other Air Asia routes), and I%26#39;m a big fan. Personally, I can%26#39;t see any point of paying more money for this short flight, or of dragging around more than the 15 kilos a person they let you check in.





Air Asia was never unreliable in my experience, and recent flights I%26#39;ve taken have been departing on schedule, to the minute. Aircraft are newish, clean and well-maintained. Ground and cabin staff are professional and friendly (not to mention cute!).





But it%26#39;s a rule with point-to-point airlines never to make a tight connection in which your entire trip hangs in the balance.





In May, which is low season, you should be able to do far better than $200 for 2 round trips to Krabi, I would think. I just tried a dummy booking and came up with 1583 baht per person, round trip. That works out to about 3000 baht or around half of your $200.




couldnt agree more with Bill,I have used AA and never had any complaints.Just a few tips are get in line early when called as no seat allocation,take a snack with you if you need it,and travel light.Excellant value for short flights I have been on much worse here at home.Have a fun trip.




%26lt;%26lt;get in line early when called as no seat allocation%26gt;%26gt;





No longer accurate. As of mid-February, all seats on Air Asia flights are assigned. You can pay extra to get ';special'; seats or to make sure a group is able to sit together.




Thanks for the reply...now I am unsure, AA seems cheap and reliable enough, but Thai Air seems like a lock and easier to deal with. I am waiting until April 1 to see what new deals they post...hope I get lucky!




I wouldn%26#39;t wait. Rule number one with Low Cost Carriers is book as early as you%26#39;re able to nail down your timing. That being said, I often book Air Asia the day before or even same day, and get pretty good prices, but keep my flexibility. You never know when they%26#39;re going to spring a seat sale, though.




Air Asia are great, but bear in mind that you won%26#39;t be able to check your bags through from the US to Krabi, you will have to collect them and recheck them onto Air Asia at Bangkok... you will be able to check your baggage through to Krabi on Thai if that makes a difference

No comments:

Post a Comment