Friday, April 2, 2010

Pratunam area

I have stayed in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok on my previous 3 visits. I enjoyed the lower sois of Sukhumvit but not the higher sois.





I was looking for cheaper accomodation this time around and was thinking about staying in Pratunam. I was particularly looking at:





Citin Pratunam (located next to Baiyoke Sky)



Best Western Mayfair Suites (Soi Phetburi 13) and All Seasons Bangkok Siam (formerly Ibis Siam).





Can anyone describe the Pratunam area to me as I have not been?





The purpose of my trip to Bangkok is for shopping, eating and nightlife. So I need to make sure I am within walking distance to nice restaurants and bars which are open till late at night. I would also like a lively area as I like to experience hustle and bustle.





Would the Pratunam area fit these requirements? Or would I be better off staying in lower Sukhumvit again or consider Silom? (I have no idea what Silom is like either).





Thanks for any help or advice.





Pratunam area


It%26#39;s a great area for shopping and eating. The best clothes markets are there and it%26#39;s a few minutes walk from Central World Plaza and a little further from Siam Square and the shops there (and MBK). As for nightlife, there%26#39;s not much around but it depends what sort of nightlife you want. A taxi to Sukhumvit will cost about 50 baht.





Not sure of your budget but the First Hotel on Petburi Road is not far and has two large swimming pools. It%26#39;s also very close to Ratchetewi Station on the skytrain.



Pratunam area


Do you mean those nightlife like at lower soi in Sukhumvitvit? NO, Pratunam doesn%26#39;t have those kinds of bar. It%26#39;s best area for shopping or the center to go anywhwere in Bangkok but definitely not nightlife.




I usually like to sit and drink cocktails at busy bars with music and lots of atmosphere. Sometimes I like to go dancing at clubs, if I am not too exhausted from the shopping during the day.





I am not interested in the sex industry, go go bars etc.





If Pratunam has no nightlife I might have to stick with Sukhumvit then.




More restaurants and bars in the Sukhumvit Road area and you are also closer to the Skytrain!





You can find hotels in the Sukhumvit area that are in the same price ranges as the hotels you mention above.





I do think that the shopping is better in the Pratunam area but you have to decide if you want to stay in a hotel that is convenient to bars and the Skytrain or just convenient for shopping.





You can find places in the Sukhumvit area where the rooms with air and private bathrooms start around 600 baht.





Off of Phetchaburi Road, not far from the First Hotel I used the Opera Hotel many, many years ago. I checked that place out a year ago - still there but you have to walk a bit to get to the Skytrain at the Asia Hotel.





Why not stay at the same hotel you used before in the Sukhumvit area and while there check out some places in the Pratunam area.













Good luck.




I agree - Pratunam has no nightlife , only good for daytime shopping.




If you like pubs/clubs then when not stay on Ratchadapisek Road where a lot of the thai style pubs are. Good music, dancing, lots of people and easy to walk home afterwards!


  • eye shadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment