Friday, April 2, 2010

snake phobia

My wife and son have a snake phobia, we are travelling to Thailand in July 06 , can anyone assure us we will not see any snakes in the markets dead or alive.





Thanks



Wayne



snake phobia


I%26#39;ve been going to Thailand regularly since the 90s and the only time that I can remember encountering snakes was at the floating market at Damonern Saduak. There they have pythons that people walk around with for the tourist to take pictures with if they want to. I also have a snake phobia, but I just look away from them and distance myself. I also alert the person with the snake not to come near me with it. I%26#39;ve been to a lot of snake countries and have had much more exposure to them in other places than Thailand...like Marrakesh, Morocco where cobras/snake charmers are everywhere and I survived that. Happy Travels! From Guenmai on fodors.com forum.



snake phobia


there are snakes there but not too many--(its thailand after all) i saw a few little lizards in the hotel grounds in karon, and there are lots of little gheccos crawling around the walls in the bars and sometimes the hotel public areas




I would think that in markets you might be safe enough -



Last year we went to Hua Hin and went atv%26#39;ing and the guide pointed out a cobra just off the track - but he wasn%26#39;t to concerned - Not like i was going to pat it -





Not sure on the sankes in wales but here in Australia we havea few but they are generally timid things and your really unlikely to come across one in your travels -





the only snakes you may come across are the tuk tuk drivers just trying to make a living







relax you will have a ball ...also the best way to get over a phobia is to comfront it -




Like your wife terrified of snakes, can%26#39;t touch a picture of them! Have seen snakes in Thailand twice. Once 23 years ago at Rose Garden and last year on estate road outside gate (Phuket) so had husband check house! Never seen one in town or village markets but I always expect to see them hopefully dead. If visiting markets just have a good look before going into certain parts. My fear is tourist areas where they could walk up behind you and put it over shoulders for picture! But Thailand is no worse than any other place (except Ireland!) lots of them in Cyprus and Florida.




Hi, phobics, out of curiosity. I saw snake meat for sale in several markets. Vendors who purvey ';jungle meat'; might have snake. If it%26#39;s cooked, could any of you eat snake?



Serious question, not teasing. TIA.



BTW, if you go to Chiang Rai and take the long-tail to Laos, the markets there have preserved Cobras for sale. Just a heads-up.




i would give snake a try if i was offered some !


ive eaten the deep fried bugs before and they are quite nice , (i still prefer a nice aus or n/zeland fillet steak though!




We went to Thailand last year Bangkok and Hua Hin and cant recall seeing any snakes to be honest. Enjoy your hol, noticed your address is Carmarthenshire. We are in Pembrokeshire!




I%26#39;m another snake/worm phobic. Runs far far away the minute I see anything that looks in the least bit squiggly, squirmy and longish. But you know us Chinese? Especially when it comes to tonics that%26#39;s supposedly good for you?



In response to Hi50%26#39;s question, I have taken snake meat and soup before. Not that I was informed beforehand though. Mum with that sweet cajoling face 20 years ago and lying through her nose saying, ';it%26#39;s only black chicken soup';. Before I know it, I%26#39;ve taken at least 10 times snake soup AND meat with croc soup thrown in for good measure.



Urrgh ... my hair stands even while typing this post. But ask me again ... sorry thanks but no thanks. Though I%26#39;ve heard there%26#39;re specialty stalls in Hong Kong that sells only snake soups and are still making enough to survive? Anyone tried them yet?




I just spent three weeks in SEA, mostly Thailand, and the only snake we saw was a very small dead one in the grass outside one of the temples in Cambodia. I%26#39;m rather phobic myself and was watching everywhere very carefully!




Gee, LA, had I known that, I would have given the long-tail boat ride up the Mekong to the Laotian trading post a ';can%26#39;t miss';, :-)).





Seriously, the bottles of cobra were appalling, and even a non-phobic such as myself was taken aback. But, one person%26#39;s souvenir is another%26#39;s daily bread.





On the other hand, I should have bought a dozen Polo shirts at 120BAHT each. Instead, of the two I purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment