Sunday, March 28, 2010

ATM Machines

Hi,





I am going to be using ATM%26#39;s whilst in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket. Are there any have particularly high charges or they all the same as each other?





Cheers



ATM Machines


Check with your bank for charges. Don%26#39;t for any reason use Master Card or Visa as you will pay for currency conversion and for atm charge, then will also be charged high interest on the money till you pay the bill.





I used several ATM machines, and they are not all the same. Ended up costing me about $5 per transaction. Take cash if possible in a money belt. Works well, and get better rates.



ATM Machines


The ATMs I used in Bangkok and Phuket did not charge a fee.





Your bank may charge if you use a debit card. I have a Nationwide debit card and they have no charges yet.




Hi Rogar



Do cnsider a Nationwide Flex Account, works very well in Thailand no charges. have used in all of your destinations. I think the Post Office offering a similar deal on their card. I usually travel with a little walking money and use ATM with Nationwide to get some cash as and when. I generaally get6 an excellant rate on withdrawls with Nationwide. I take a couple of credit cards, carry one and keep another in the Hotel Safe with some sterling





Seems to work



Cheers





Dave




The Post Office Mastercard is a best buy credit card for use abroad.





But to withdraw money, Nationwide flex account.




Thai banks don%26#39;t charge a fee for ATM use. Your bank will. Check their rate for using overseas ATMs.





I%26#39;ve been reading that Nationwide is going to start charging. But, from what I understand, they will still be far cheaper than other UK bank cards.





I try to use Kaiskorn ATMs. Their rate is pretty close to spot. SCB has always seemed to adjust their rate to favor themselves. I never use their ATMs




Also - if you have not done it already - make sure you let your bank know that you will be using your cards over there as they could ';freeze'; the cards if they see they are being used in a high risk area.




I use debit cards all the time. My credit union pays for any ATM fees. My cards are affiliated with MasteCard and Visa and I have never had a problem with them for many years.





I do choose an ATM that is near their open bank. This way if your card gets stuck they can retrieve it. Bringa spare card if you can. Cash works too, don%26#39;t be afraid of taking some. Some credit cards have high fees plus interest that is why I stick with my debit cards.





Like the other post said, tell your bank that you will be overseas or your ATM withdrawal may be denied when you need it in Thailand. Most of the ATM%26#39;s I use have a 10,000 baht limit. Take out the maximum you can to cut down on lots of fees for cheap withdrawals.





I never use credit cards for paying for cheap purchases or meals in restaurants to cut down on CC fraud. Some people use them all the time - your choice! I use cheap hotels and pay in cash.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment